Doing more testing with CRM 2011 Rollup 12, I found out that Chrome was self closing when I logged into CRM. This is very annoying, but having worked with CRM before in IE, I knew what this was. By chance I was able to verify it by going to the CRM url and changing the last part of the url to /main.aspx. I got a notification that a popup was blocked. Sure enough, after I added the crm address to the popup blocker exception list, no more self closing windows.
Update 2/14/13: Also should note that this affects Safari as well. Popupblocker’s cause quite a problem with CRM and there is no notification what it is about to do. I find the fact that CRM needs to launch into its own window a pain. I personally have it in a pinned tab in Chrome. I don’t worry about it and when I need CRM its there and not on some other obscure window.
While testing out CRM 2011 Rollup 12, I noticed that I could not get it to log me in for Chrome. After checking my security log and resetting Chrome back to defaults, it still didn’t shed any light onto why this was happening.
After much searching, I happen to find the article explaining this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2709891/en-us?sd=rss&spid=15707
While this requires a registry edit and supposedly opens up a man in the middle attack, it does indeed fix it. Hopefully a proper fix comes out in the near future to resolve this properly. In the mean time this works well.
Like all good conversations, this was brought up in IRC.
Microsoft decided it would be a good idea to install a hidden addon to firefox installs for those who have some services installed. The major point being it is a hidden unknown addon that you can not remove yourself. How friendly is that?
Google’s Chrome does the same thing. After first running it, I discovered that it installed a hidden service to my user’s Application Support (Mac OS X) folder. I ran a few commands as root to remove the file and chmoded it to “0000”. I also removed Chrome as well and checked all files it modified.
Other than being totally shocked that Chrome is installing a service without my permission, I am questioning continuing to use any of google applications now. This would of all been ok, if Google Chrome had asked for permission to install a service that supposedly “checks for updates”. Of course I wouldn’t of allowed it anyways, I have enough services running on my poor laptop and I don’t need to add a useless one.
Hopefully both Microsoft and Google get it straight. Although I can’t say much about Apple who forces you to install QuickTime and Apple Update on windows. So maybe all three need to get a clue. I want to know what you are doing to my system. Keeping this up will only make me move to full time linux usage more and more.
As a quick end note. Procrastination paid off, as I haven’t run windows updates in about 2 weeks. Just goes to show that sometimes procrastinating can be a good thing.